LA DAMEAUX CAMÉLIAS

April 19, 2012 / Post a Comment
The white ticket gave me entrance to the Old Hall and Steph left me with a hug. In the break she would meet me at the staff entrance. I found my red seat, seat 33 row 9, beside an elderly lady with a warm smile. The hall buzzed with quiet voices, the way only voices in a sold-out theater hall can sound. But this time it wasn’t a play people was gathered together to watch.
The ceiling was covered with gold paint, an unavoidable aspect I had forgotten everything about.
Silence descended over the audience as magic dust when Astrid as Nanina stepped out onto the stage floor. She wore only black clothes and was looking out over the edge of the stage in what seemed like several minutes. She said nothing. Shortly after a number of familiar and unfamiliar faces found their way to the boards, with no words that slipped over their lips. It was all silent until the nodes of Chopin started to fill the empty space, the type of music that touches every bone in one’s body.
It was the famous ballet The Lady of the Camellias, which is about Marguerite Gautier, the most desirable courtesan in Paris who suffers from tuberculosis, and a young provincial bourgeois, Armand Duval who falls madly in love with Marguerite and ultimately becomes her lover. In a haze of difficult love the two lovers are exposed to several of challenges, which in all great love stories end fatal. Their relationship breaks as death parts them. It is a deep and heartbreaking ballet which portrays both their outer and inner conflicts. A ballet supported by talented dancers, beautifully performed by Gudrun Bojesen and Ulrik Birkkjær. So overwhelming that I could not help but shed a tear or two.
Occasionally I fell into a trance so deep that I forgot that what I laid my eyes on was real, it was there, just meters in front of me, and the only thing to remind me of this, was when the pianist played his instrument as the only musician and the sound of elegant feet dancing across the floor broke through the layer of music. Sometimes when the piano notes were quiet enough you could even sense their controlled breathing.

It’s been a long time since I have made use of all my senses this way, particularly in connection to myself lately. At the moment I feel like I walk around with my eyes wide open, but without seeing or perceiving anything.
I think I’ve lost myself somewhere. It could be anywhere… at the store, in a trashcan, on the long street that leads the way home from school. Maybe it’s because I think so much about the future that I’ve forgotten the present. I don’t know. All I know is that I’ve never felt this way before. A bit lost, like I know the way home but still can’t find the right place to turn. I’ve lost all interest in school. Not that this will be the first time, but never have I been so unconcentrated and behind as now. And with only two months left of the final school year it leads to a chronic bad conscience that ravages my mind.

The photos beneath are taken in the past week. No order.
viktoria getting ready to perform steph sews her ballet shoes scene rehearsal during the break between second and third act copenhagen's tivoli on a rainy tuesday mirrors in the ceiling crossing bridge expensive ice cream bumper cars and laughter
the famous pierrot in tivoli
bowling with the asians
rave party with loved ones, source
why I have a weird love for bowling shoes stranger photographing at a concert


Those who are faithful know only the trivial side of love: it is the faithless who know love's tragedies - oscar wilde

4 thoughts:

{ Sonja } on: Friday, 20 April, 2012 said...

Magiske billeder!

{ Viktoria Schioldann } on: Friday, 20 April, 2012 said...

Så fine udtryksfulde billeder ♥ Bowling er så hyggeligt ♥

{ NicoSchmelling } on: Friday, 20 April, 2012 said...

This was very beautiful. I envy you for this experience..

And I can completely relate to the temporary derealization. It happens to us all. Were almost on the other side! <3

Lovelovelove

{ Reaction . } on: Friday, 27 April, 2012 said...

Beautiful Photos!

xoxo,rabea

Post a Comment